Monuments and markers sponsored by the Roseville Historical Society
Monument No. 1 - The Carnegie Library museum
557 LINCOLN STREET
ROSEVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MARKER NO. 1
Concerned by the lack of adequate library facilities in 1910, the Women's Improvement Club convinced the City Board of Trustees to contribute $2,000 and to apply to Andrew Carnegie for a $10,000 grant which they received on April 25, 1911. The land for the building was donated by local businessman A. B. McRae. The library was dedicated on October 12, 1912 and served the citizens of Roseville as a library and meeting place until November 7, 1982.
The Roseville Historical Society and the City of Roseville has restored and preserved the building for the continued use by the citizens of Roseville.
Dedicated October 12, 1988
monument no. 2 - The PFE Footbridge
Crossing Dry Creek next to Fire Station No. 1 on Oak Street and Veteran's Memorial Hall on Park Drive
ROSEVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MARKER NO. 2
Across this footbridge situated high above Roseville's Southern Pacific Railroad yards passed untold thousands of Pacific Fruit Express employees on their way to work at the world's largest artificial ice plant. In disuse since 1974 when the giant plant was razed, this local landmark was moved in 1986 for use as a public footbridge across Dry Creek and as a memorial to those days when Roseville was the ice capital of the world.
It was dedicated on March 28, 1987 as the Reuben F. Nelson footbridge in honor of longtime PFE Superintendent and civic leader R. F. "Rube" Nelson.
monument no. 3 - site of roseville's first city hall
current site of Pacific Street Cafe at 301 Pacific Street on the corner of Lincoln Street
ROSEVILLE'S FIRST CITY HALL
In April 1909, the newly incorporated City of Roseville leased the upper level of the historic two story J. D. Pratt. Later William Sawtell, store building at the corner of Pacific and Lincoln Streets for use as the town's first City Hall. Rent was set at $12.00 a month including janitorial service. City fathers met here until 1911 when they moved to new quarters on Vernon Street. Fire destroyed the original building in 1916.
ROSEVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MARKER #3
monument no. 4 - railroad worker's memorial
Roseville's Amtrak Station at 201 Pacific Street
LEST WE FORGET
This monument has been erected to honor the memory of eleven local railroad workers who met untimely deaths in a tragic train accident between Roseville and Lincoln on April 8, 1935.
Louis Apostolas, Arnold Caballero, Sam Darras, Tony Espinoza, Isaac Esqueda, Steve Gianakopias, Vncente Hernandez, Leonard Jimenez, Agapito Munoz, Pete Piniotis, Jose Vargas
They kept the railroad moving.
Roseville Historical Society Monument No. 4
monument no. 5 - railroad Monument
Located at the intersection of Folsom and Linda roads, at the entrance to the miner's ravine trail
“THE ORIGINAL RAILBED OF THE CALIFORNIA CENTRAL RAILROAD
ON OCTOBER 13, 1861 THE CALIFORNIA CENTRAL RAILROAD REACHED ROSEVILLE BY WAY OF FOLSOM CALIFORNIA ON THE WAY TO LINCOLN CALIFORNIA. THE LINE BETWEEN FOLSOM AND ROSEVILLE WAS DISCOUNTINUED IN 1868”
ROSEVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY MARKER #5